Saturday, February 17, 2007

Sportsmanship at its Finest

Kellen’s basketball team lost its game today. While it would be very easy for me to sit here and tell you it was because the referees didn’t call the game fairly (which they totally didn’t) I won’t, because a) I hate parents who whine like that and b) it’s supposed to be for fun, after all, and c) did I mention I hate parents who whine like that????

But just so you know the level to which this lousy bit of refereeing extended, let me tell you, it was bad. It was so bad, that a few of our kids refused to play the second half, our coach threatened to forfeit the game if they couldn’t call the fouls more fairly, and even someone as “basketball-rule-challenged” as myself noticed the discrepancies. The other team had a player that was mentally and developmentally challenged, and the referees replied that they had to be lenient because he wasn’t capable of following the rules to the letter. That’s fine, but what about the other seven boys on the team who were allowed to elbow and shove and reach over the back and kick? (Yes, Kellen was actually kicked on purpose, after which point he told the coach he didn’t want to play any more and asked to sit on the bench the rest of the game. Charles Darwin would be so proud.)

The boys on our team were frustrated, and upset, and one boy got so angry his parents had to take him out of the gym. Anyway, all that to tell you it was pretty bad.

For someone who doesn’t like parents who whine, I just did a really good job of it, didn’t I?

Anyway, after the game, the parents and coaches on our team were talking to the players about what had happened, and trying to appropriately praise the boys who had handled this situation in the calmest, most mature manner. Sometimes in life things just aren’t fair, and it’s not your fault, and there’s not a lot you can do about it but control your own reaction ….. and this was one of those times.

In the van on the way home, I wanted to re-affirm what the coach had said, and Kellen and I had the following conversation:

Me: “I agreed with the coach that you handled the game well, Kellen, and I was proud of you.”

Kellen: “What do you mean?”

Me: “Well, I understand that even more than losing, plain and simple, that game just wasn’t any fun. It’s frustrating when the other team is getting away with things and it doesn’t seem fair. But you didn’t act ugly back, right?”

Kellen: “What do you mean, act ugly?”

Me: “Well, you didn’t kick anyone back, or push, or shove, right?”

Kellen: “No.”

Me: “And you didn’t elbow anyone, or get mad and call anyone names or anything, right?”

Kellen: “No”

Me: “So see? You didn’t do anything wrong, did you?”

{pause……………………}

Kellen: “You know at the end of the game? How we have to walk down the line and slap all the hands of the other players and say 'good game' ?”

Me: “Yes…..”

Kellen: “I licked my hand first.”

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOOOOOVE IT! Kellen, my man, you will go far in this world. Woe unto the nasty customer if you ever work a summer in food service!

I am so glad we didn't have to suffer through bad officiating in our league. Our two refs were absolutely spectacular. There is no official scorekeeping (except for all the parents in the stand performing analysis of variance and other gyrations every time a kid shoots the ball). Not really any penalties called except for flagrant double dribbling or fouls. Most of their energy was spent reminding kids to dribble and pass and keep the ball moving. I am so in love with them that I got them each a gift certificate to say thanks. We were really lucky to get such good role models. Sorry yours seem to have some issues.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm cracking up over here. WTG, Kellen.

Anonymous said...

High-five to Kellen with a drippy licked hand!!! Whooohooooooo!

kim-d said...

HAHAHA--THAT IS GREAT! I admire a kid that can quietly and without fanfare "get even." It's all about the self-satisfaction. KELLEN, YOU ROCK (just like your Mom). HAHAHA...

Anonymous said...

Perfect! That is so CLASSIC! I see how you can write so well, Kristie! Your kids give you the BEST material! :O)

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kellen! My 10-year-old son has his final basketball game in about an hour. Woe to the other team if they get ugly!

As always, thanks for the laughs Kristie!

Anonymous said...

I LOVE it!!!

Ahh. Now that's how to be passive-aggressive in the best possible way!

Thanks for the Saturday laugh, Kristie and Kellen too.

Anonymous said...

Go Kellen! Next time, go to the bathroom and DON'T WASH before you slap hands.

Anonymous said...

ROFL!!! GO KELLEN!!! Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do!

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO, Kellen! I am so proud of you! Your mama has taught you well! Rock on!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kellen!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kellen.. I thing you are awesome. I am not your parent but I am proud of you...

Shannon Mashinchi said...

Oh my gosh! I just started laughing when I read this and then read it to my daughter who laughed as well!

You, go Kellen!

Anonymous said...

Way to go Kellen! That's just wrong to let the entire team get away with stuff. I can understand the one, but the rest of them...uh, no. =)

Anonymous said...

LMAO!!! My kinda kid!

Cheryl
Warner Robins, GA

Jan R. said...

WTG Kellen!

Someday, that may be a post on "PostSecrets"...
lol

I hate Refs who don't do their job fairly.

Jan
Oak Park, CA

Anonymous said...

Love it. My son, who is now 16 ,did that when he was playing against a team that was very unsportsmanlike in 5th grade. I had to act like I didn't think it was funny, because that was the mature parent thing to do. But, oh how I laughed when I read that Kellen had the same smooth move. WTG!!

Anonymous said...

Kellen, a man after my own heart.

Quinn's hockey team played a bunch of big goons the other night...they were elbowing in the head, slashing while the ref's weren't looking, generally doing their best to intimidate our smaller team....man, it was so fun kicking their ass 3-1, ha!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Kellen, just beautiful.